New Jersey Governor Chris Christie was challenged by casino employees over jobs, as three associated with city’s casinos face imminent closure. Christie, who was simply at Ocean City Town Hall to discuss retirement reforms, was greeted on his arrival by a small grouping of workers from the threatened Revel, Showboat and Trump Plaza, chanting ‘Save our Jobs’ and ‘Five Year Promise.’
Last year Christie issued a five-year plan that promised to correct the New Jersey economy, providing millions of dollars every year to bring more flights to the Atlantic City airport, promote more convention business and raise private investment in to the casino market.
Revel was a ingredient that is key Christie’s designs for Atlantic City. Conceived before the recession, construction of the Revel project started in 2008, just while the economic downturn hit, and Revel Inc found itself in financial dire straits, especially when backers, Morgan Stanley, pulled away soon after.
The entire project has been a complete tragedy, consistently taking a loss since it opened in 2012 and much more recently hemorrhaging $2 million per week
Christie, for whom Revel represented the promise of a gleaming, revitalized Atlantic City, intervened with a $261 million dollar bailout in tax credits and loan that is new hopeless to see the $2.4 billion project through to conclusion.
Has the Five Year Plan Failed?
There are few clearer symbols regarding the failure for the five-year plan, then, than the recent news that Revel will close on September 1st. The project that is entire been a complete disaster, consistently losing money since it opened in 2012 and recently hemorrhaging $2 million each week.
Using the Showboat and also the Trump Plaza also likely to close within the next few days, increasing unemployment developed by the closure of this Atlantic Club in the beginning of the season, casino workers are now action that is demanding reassurance.
‘ For those individuals who we saw I hear you,’ Christie told the crowd as I was walking in chanting, ‘Save our jobs. ‘I have always been plugged in, I am listening and I am working.’ But he additionally said that while his administration had been working with private employers to find more jobs, there was little he could do in order to force the casinos to stay available.
Summit to Address Future of AC
Christie announced the day that is previous a summit would be held on September 8, in which political leaders and casino industry officials to go over a method forward for Atlantic City. But, Showboat worker of 27 years Cindy Pemberton told Christie that it is too little, too late. ‘she said if we wait two weeks, Showboat will be closed.
‘The government can’t order private businesses to do things,’ Christie shared with her. ‘ And you don’t desire to live in a world where we do … What you’re asking me to do is become the CEO of Showboat. I don’t wish to run Showboat.
‘[We’re] trying to create an answer that could assist you among others save your jobs,’ he added. ‘That’s just what our objective is.’
The Governor additionally told the crowd that he is ‘thinking about’ a 2016 presidential run. In response to a concern from the public, he said: ‘It is an decision that is enormous make not only for me personally, but my family. Most likely by the end of the or the start of next I’ll decide. year’
Whitey Bulger Appeals 2013 Conviction
Whitey Bulger says he had been not allowed to present an immunity protection at their 2013 trial. (Image: NewRepublic.com)
James ‘Whitey’ Bulger was convicted on 31 counts last year, including charges related to his involvement in 11 murders. That was enough to earn the former mastermind that is criminal FBI informant two consecutive life terms in prison and a cell at the United States Penitentiary in Tucson, Arizona.
But if anyone thought that Bulger was going down without a fight, he’s going to prove them wrong.
Solicitors for Bulger are asking a federal appeals court to overturn his conviction for playing those 11 murders, arguing that the judge in case ‘constitutionally deprived Mr. Bulger of his right to provide an effective defense.’
That argument is laid out in a filing that is 201-page had been sent to the united states Court of Appeals for the initial Circuit by lawyers Hank Brennan and James Budreau.
Bulger Wanted to Testify
According to attorneys, Bulger wanted to simply take the stand in their very own protection during the trial. However, US District Judge Denise Casper had barred Bulger from telling the jury he had been guaranteed immunity from all crimes by a now-dead federal prosecutor.
‘The court ruled that the defense could perhaps not raise the immunity defense at trial in any form, including the defendant’s own testimony at test,’ Bulger’s legal team published. ‘This error effected the fairness that is fundamental of Bulger’s trial and his convictions should be automatically reversed as a result.’
Bulger, who’s now 84 years old, planned to tell jurors that prosecutor Jeremiah T. O’Sullivan had promised him complete immunity in exchange for Bulger’s promise to protect ‘his life.’ But Judge Casper would not enable that defense, stating that Bulger had no documentation to support his claims, and that regardless if such an agreement had taken spot, O’Sullivan had no authority to offer this kind of promise.
The defense in turn argued that as the mind of the brand New England Organized Crime Strike Force, O’Sullivan could indeed make such a deal.
Without the ability to bring up this defense, solicitors say that Bulger had been left with no explanation to testify in their own defense at last summer time’s test.
Prosecutors Dispute Claims
Prosecutors, however, tell an unusual story about just what took place during the sensational trial. According to assistant that is former attorney Brian T. Kelly, several judges had given Bulger the chance to present an immunity defense before the trial itself, but he had made the tactical choice to decline that opportunity.
‘He had no license to kill or any other immunity agreement, in which he repeatedly failed to take the chance to present it,’ Kelly said.
Instead, prosecutors claim, Bulger likely did not take the stand to prevent a cross-examination in which he’d have experienced to answer questions that are endless his functions in crimes, like the 19 murders he had been accused of participating in.
Ultimately, the jury found that Bulger took part in 11 murders, while finding that prosecutors had unsuccessful to provide enough evidence to convict him on seven others. On the count that is final which involved the murder of Debra Davis in 1981, the jury was struggling to achieve a verdict.
Bulger’s solicitors defended their client by trying to refute much of what appeared in Bulger’s FBI informant file, which alleged which he served as an informant from 1975 to 1990. The lawyers say that Bulger wanted to testify to ‘the systemic corruption that existed in the federal government during the 1970s through 1990s and the political and institutional motivations that led Jeremiah O’Sullivan and the Strike Force to provide immunity to James Bulger. in their appeal’
Massachusetts Casino Repeal Campaigns Begin
Anti-casino groups are gearing up for another battle ahead of a repeal vote november. (Image: The Republican)
The Massachusetts casino repeal vote promises to be among the biggest gaming that is political of 2014.
It pits major casino developers and their supporters against anti-casino advocates whom are hoping to roll back regulations that allowed for three casinos and a slot parlor to be built in their state. Sufficient reason for under 3 months until that vote will happen, it’s time for the campaigning that is real begin.
Both pro- and anti-casino forces have announced that they’ll be starting up their campaign operations this week within an work to persuade voters to come down on their side of the contentious problem.
The vote that is statewide scheduled for November, will see whether the state’s casino legislation are going to be repealed, or if casino developers can go ahead with their plans to build Las Vegas-style resorts.
Political Groups Start Lining Up on Both Sides
On the side that is pro-casino efforts appear to be led by the Committee to safeguard Massachusetts work. The political team, funded primarily by MGM Resorts, Mohegan Sun and Penn National, said on Monday that they’ve been preparing for three months to launch ‘an substantial ground effort.’
Pro-casino forces have touted the thousands of jobs they say will be created in the event that gambling enterprises are permitted to be operated and built into the state
They’ll be compared by anti-casino groups like Repeal the Casino Deal, the organization that successfully were able to get the repeal question on the ballot in the beginning. That group says which they started their own canvassing and field companies this past weekend.
For ‘Repeal,’ the objective seems to be contacting voters that are undecided can be persuaded to oppose the casino bill, especially those in communities which haven’t yet considered casinos and therefore might be less educated in the issue.
‘The casino bosses want to ensure this campaign is about every thing apart from casinos—with a group that conveniently leaves casinos out of its title and internet site, materials and campaign theme which conveniently ignores the very impacts that are real casino mess with have on communities,’ stated campaign spokesman Stephen Eisele.
Meanwhile, pro-casino forces have touted the thousands of jobs they say will be created if the gambling enterprises are permitted to be built and operated in the state. The website for the Committee to Protect Massachusetts Jobs also lists a number of prominent people and groups that support their efforts, including legislators, chambers of commerce and labor unions.
Grassroots Effort vs. Casino Money
While Repeal the Casino Deal can’t hope to contend with the money that may be invested by the casino companies, they wish their grassroots efforts can produce results. The group already boasts nearly 1,000 volunteers who canvass and work phone banks to get their message out.
‘We have the more voters learn about casinos, the more unlikely they will be to vote for them,’ stated campaign manager Darek Barcikowski. ‘If you consider Atlantic City and other communities that bought into the claims of gambling enterprises, we believe you will agree casinos are not financial engines; they’re economic vacuum cleaners.’
Although the results of the November vote certainly have the prospect of high drama, you can still find other issues that need to be sorted out in the meantime. Many prominently, the battle for the Greater Boston area casino license is still to be decided. Wynn Resorts wants to develop a casino in Everett, while Mohegan Sun and Suffolk Downs are proposing a resort in Revere. The state gaming commission is anticipated to award a license to 1 of the bids by September.